Peanuts in sweet vinegar, sometimes called old vinegar peanut (老醋花生, lǎo cù hua shēng). I first tried these sweet vinegar peanuts in a hotel in Shaanxi Province. They were so moreish I nearly finish the whole bowl. When I got back home I set about trying to make some myself. This may not be the exact method but it produces a similar results.
- 6 tablespoons black vinegar, or balsamic vinegar.
- 3 teapoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon of chopped coriander
- 1 slice of ginger
- Stir fry the peanuts for 10 – 15 minutes until they are browned and fragrant. Put aside in a bowl and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- For the sauce, combine the coriander, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and ginger in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally. Reduce until the sauce is syrupy.
- Poor the sauce over the peanuts and stir to coat, serve at room temperature.